Dec 30 2011
The Navagrahas have great importance in Hindu Religion. They are considered to play a major role in deciding the destiny of man.
The Navagraha derived from the Sanskrit words “Nava” and “Graha“. Nava means “nine”, Graha means ” planet.
The Navagraha Gods are Surya(Sun), Chandra(Moon), Mangal(Mars), Budha(Mercury), Guru(Jupiter), Shukra(Venus), Shani(Saturn), Rahu and Ketu.
They act upon every Past and Present birth cycles in every good and bad acts of the person. They are the reasons and causes of the sufferings and happiness of the human livings.
There are nine temples in the south of Indiadedicated to the Navagrahas or to the deity of each of the nine planets of Hindu astronomy. These temples date back to the glorious Chola period where enormous temples with intricate sculptures were built.
Navagraha Temples in Kumbakonam District
1. Surya (SUN)- Tirumangalakudi–(or) Suryanar Kovil
2. Chandra (MOON) — Thingaloor
3. Mangal (MARS) — Vaitheeswaran Kovil
4. Budha (MERCURY)– Tiruvenkaadu
5. Guru/Brihaspati (JUPITER) — Aalangudi
6. Sukra (VENUS) — Kunjanoor
7. Shani (SATURN)– Tirunallar
8. Raahu (head of the demon snake) — Tirunageswaram
9.Ketu (tail of the snake)—Kizhperumpallam
Navagraha Temples in Chennai
Similar to Kumbakonam, There are 9 temples at the outskirts of Chennai dedicated to the Navagrahams. Our ancestors have built temples for all 9 planets in the then Thondai Mandalam.
All these temples are built with the purpose that in those days traveling all the way to Kumbakonam from this part of the country was highly tedious.
All of them belong to the Chozha period with brilliant architecture and divinity. Few of these temples are in the state of neglect where others still look fresh and new even after centuries.
The main deities of all these temples are Lord Shiva in different names. In few places the main deity, Lord Shiva Himself, represent the planet and so there is no separate shrine for the respective Graham in the temple.
1. The Sun (Surya) – Kolappaakkam Sri Agatheeswarar Temple
2. The Moon (Chandra) – Somangalam Sri Somanaadheeswarar Temple
3. Mars (Angaraha) – Poondhamalli Sri Vaidheeswarar Temple (Uthara Vaidheeswaran Koil)
4. Mercury (Budha) – Kovur Sri Sundhareswarar Temple
5. Jupiter (Guru) – Porur Sri Ramanaadheswarar Temple (Uthara Raameswaram)
6. Venus (Sukran)- Maangaadu Sri Velleeswarar Temple
7. Saturn (Saneeswarar) – Pozhichalur Sri Agatheeswarar Temple (Vada Thirunallaaru)
8. Ketu (Kethu) – Gerugambaakkam Sri Neelakandeswarar Temple
9. Rahu (Raahu) – Kunrathur Sri Naageswarar Temple (Vada Thirunaageswaram)